My silly co-worker

     So this wasn't the blog post I was going to post this week but this is just too good to pass up. So I have a co-worker who's one of those stereotypical ratchet church ladies. You know the ones. They literally shove God into every conceivable part of a conversation while simultaneously getting pissed at the IT people who demand payment for helping her with her personal laptop. She's also on the older side which she uses as a means of manipulation. Needless to say, she's a real character. One day during one of her many long-winded tirades, she asks how anyone could stand sitting next to a Muslim. I told her I had no issues with it because people are just people. Y'all. The look I got was magical. "I mean, I know they're people. But they those type of people." Eye roll central right?
     The day progresses and she's going off on queer people showing PDA. Now mind you, I'm gay af. She knows I'm gay af. And yet she's still shocked, shocked I tell you, when I call her a bigot. "I didn't mean it that way." Forgive me, but what? How did you mean it? Was there some sort of mystical element involved that permits you to say bigoted things without sounding like a bigot? I'm honestly curious because I feel such an element is being wasted on simple bigotry. There are thousands of customer service folks out there that NEED the ability to tell customers to fuck off without repercussions.
     As the day progresses she tries and fails to adequately explain herself. I suppose frustration got the better of her because then she comes out of her mouth with, "Lamonte, black people don't do this to each other". Now that actually struck a cord with me. Not because I agreed with the sentiment, but because she's right. Black people really don't hold each other accountable when it comes to our problematic behaviors. Case in point, R. Kelly, Bill Cosby, that one auntie who you know is beating her kids. I believe its due to the fact that we're scared of giving The Unseasoned a reason to judge and oppress us even more. And to a point, that's slightly valid but they're gonna do that anyway so why put up with problematic behaviors?
     Anyways, the moral of the story is that she pulled me into HR with the claims that I was "unfairly judging her". I laughed it off. If you're going to engage is senseless bigotry, then I'm going to call it out because all it does is harm the black community. Being career bigots is what The Unseasoned do, and we're better than that.

Comments

  1. Don't go giving ytppl any ideas of Black on Black judginess. Then Fox News will will have a new banner graphic and everything.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts